Tuesday, October 11, 2011

And Shadrach Charles Watson's family came...

Today I found Shadrach Charles Watson's family coming to America.

Mrs. Kate Watson, her daughters Annie and Eva and sons Charles and Alfred arrived November 8, 1880 in New York City on the Ship Vaderland.

Mrs. Kate Watson, daughters Anne and Eva, on bottom of page 4 of the manifest 



Charles Watson and Alfred Watson, top of page 5 of the manifest

Now Shadrach Charles Watson - I'm still looking for when exactly he arrived. Ancestry.com doesn't seem to like this family. I only found them today because as I was searching for Alfred Alma Watson, I found a border crossing card (between the US and Canada) from 1937 - which makes sense since he lived in Mountain View, Alberta, Canada most of his life - where he listed that he came to New York on the SS Vaderland in 1880 (thanks, Alfred!).

Since family tradition said that they came in November - I started looking at the ships that landed in New York in November 1880, that had the name of Vaderland. Luckily the 8th of the month wasn't too far down the list.

I haven't been so lucky yet with Shadrach Charles. He came earlier in the year, but not too much earlier - since Kate Watson had their son, Herbert Edward Chapman Watson, less than 2 months later on January 3, 1881 in Philadelphia. Herbert died in March of 1882 while they were living in Mendon, Utah. So, I still need to find out exactly when Shadrach Charles Watson came.

No comments:

Post a Comment